Thursday, April 19, 2012

Going Topless

I fully intended on going to the barn last night and putting some dressage practice on Mr. Moon. I did. But by the time I got home, had some supper, got the dog out and fed, it meant I would only have 45 minutes at the barn, after an hour of driving. Not what I wanted so I decided to compromise with myself.

I'd still be productive, but instead of spending an hour driving around, I'd spend 2 hours on my pony trailer.

I dragged out the drill and got to work. Drilling out rivets was a first for me, but how hard can it be??

Well, the aluminum ones were easy-peasy. The steel ones?? A little bit harder.

It's kinda nice sometimes working by yourself. Not that I don't appreciate the BF's help, but he's a think, plan, decided, reconsider, gather tools, work until the project is done, kinda guy. That's wonderful. Except I'm a charge-in-head-first, stop frequently and plan it as you go, type of gal. Granted, this sometimes leaves me struggling for a way to complete a project I only gave 5 minutes thought to before grabbing a power tool and charging in, but for me, it works out. I mean, breaks are for thinking!

My dad is an avid woodworker/farm repair type guy and I spent many years outside and in his garage "helping" him out. My mom, your typical homemaker, ALWAYS brought out snacks, treats, drinks and such as we worked. Which meant LOTS of breaks. The BF, believes in working until the job is done. No breaks. As you can imagine (coupled with my scrawny, stickly, constantly snacking lest I waste away self), this is NOT always my idea of a good time.

So in the two or so hours I spent working on my horse trailer, I stopped repeatedly to snack, take pictures, play with the dog, and day dream about it being finished. My bad.

Irrespective, by the time the BF pulled up, the roof was no longer held to the frame and the only thing still needing to be done is lift it down (which let's face it, is a two man job). I'd even put the saw horses in the back yard to place it on!! : )

Needless to say, I got some props for being a gal who knows how to use her tools, and then it was official...

My pony trailer was topless.

Trim removed from roof. 

Drilled out the old rear lighting...and boy, I'm gonna have to do a lot of scrubbing...

I mean, there's MOSS growing on it!! : O

All un-done, just needs to be taken down. : ) Overall, it turned out to be in very good shape, a couple of minute fractures in the gel coat, but no cracks. : )

I saved the trim to go back on later. 

I even un-wired the lights! There was one original one still on (which was pretty badly damaged, and that I *probably* can't buy a replacement bulb for anymore...), and the other three were more recently added. Not sure if I'll buy 4 new LED ones, or just 1 replacement...

While I LOVE Ridgid power tools, this is the heaviest drill on earth! 

Naked pony trailer!

I wonder if he'd load easier if I left it like this... ; )

Roof in the yard, waiting to be scrubbed and refinished! Hoping the weather FINALLY cooperates this weekend!

Tonight, I will, without a doubt, be out riding Mr. Moon. If time allows, I'd REALLY like to hack him out to the soccer fields again and work through our dressage test in a "strange" environment. In all honestly, what I *REALLY* want to do is gallop around Birds Hill Park, but it's too far to make it there and back before the sun sets.

I swear, sunny days are NOT conducive to dressage riding in my world. And after our little adventure with the ditch last Saturday, I desperately want to see what his feelings are on "natural" jumping obstacles...Yes, the 'fraidy cat in my longs to be an eventer...well, it longs to do XC...maybe I could just scratch the Stadium portion?? ; )

I've also been sitting around contemplating our move. The problem with being a fairly new horse owner, is that you haven't had the experience that more seasoned owners have had, and as my last post said, experience reduces anxiety.

I'm quite certain it will end up being uneventful. They'll touch noses, kick and squeal a bit. Maybe a couple of kicks and bucks and running around and then things will settle down and be uneventful. I mean, Moon's been introduced to new horses a couple of times now since I've owned him. Once at T's where he fought with the other gelding for a week before being separated to a new herd. He was an outcast there until I moved him to W's. I didn't see him introduced to the herd at W's, but was told it went smoothly. He didn't have any injuries, for sure.

When he met Curly-horse, he came away with a lot of bite marks, but he still gets bitten. Not exactly a serious phenomenon. Likewise, I didn't even notice when little Haffie Jack moved in.

So would his introduction over to the new herd be any different?

It shouldn't be. But I sometimes imagine horses galloping around, breaking through HT fencing, someone getting a tendon in the fence wire and waving goodbye to our show season before it even starts. Unlikely? For sure. But like most newbie owners, obsessive horsefolk or worry-warts, it still runs through my mind.

The new BO and I have made every arrangement we could think of to try to make the transition easier. She had some great ideas that will only smooth things out more. Unfortunately there isn't space or time for long introductions, but he did have the chance to visit the new facility last weekend.

The plan is for me to ride him over again next weekend, which will mean that he'll be nice and tired when he meets the herd. Likewise, the two other horses that he's moving in with will be worked and hopefully a little tired too.

He'll get a chance to investigate the paddock alone, so he can learn the fence-line. Then he'll get introduced to each horse and the games begin.

Later that afternoon, another new horse (who was previously boarded there) will be moving back. And then everyone will get their toes trimmed! And of course, we'll put out lots of hay piles so there's no fighting amongst the horses...or less fighting : P

It's hard when you know your horse is more often then not, a total push-over. And barely over pony-height. And is moving in with two fit draft crosses, with their plate-sized hooves, curving necks and big ol'muscular bums. Not that I haven't seen Moon kick like the best of them. : P Maybe I'll get some good action shots... ; )

We should be spending the evening visiting, and then the next morning, I pack him into a trailer (larger then my own!) and haul him 2 hours to a clinic. We clinic all morning then haul back the 2 hours home.

Monday, I was planning on hacking him out to the park, which will be just TWO miles away! AURGH!

And then I wonder if I'm over doing it? I mean, he gets ridden 4 miles, moves into a new herd, gets dragged out of bed the next morning, hauled, meets a new place, riders, jumping, everything, then gets hauled back to his "new home". And then I want to ride him for a couple hours the next day too??

I think I'm overzealous. I'll be lucky if he doesn't collapse in a nervous, stressed out heap.

....or you know...*I* collapse in a stressed out heap!


  1. I am sure your move will go fine. Some squealing then everyone should be over themselves and back into a grazing routine.

    The trailer is looking good! You are putting a ton of work into it, it will be well worth it come pony-hauling time!

  2. Unless there's a real problem with one of the horses, the introductions should be uneventful. Hopefully all his new pasture buddies are as easy going as he is. I'm sure it'll go just as planned. :)

    I'm so excited to see the before and after pictures of your trailer!

  3. Your horse float looks great :)
    Good Luck with the move - It will be fine.
    Hope you get a good ride in :)