Sunday, December 3, 2017

The Shave.

So I've been managing my 3 rides a week, just sometimes forgetting to find the time to post about them. Last week on Thursday L the Farrier came out and trimmed Moon. He was...perfect. I mean, it was early evening, the barn was BUSTLING, and he was just perfect the whole trim. Even L commented on how perfectly behaved he was.

He's been fabulous at my place for the two summers he's been there, but just a total skitz at H's. We've been trying to understand what makes him so different, and I have a long list.

1. He was boss gelding at H's, and felt he needed to still keep everyone in line. At my place he's alone, and at the new place, RR, he's not at the top as far as I can tell. He's maybe the 2nd or 3rd gelding down out of 5.

2. He needs to "own" the mares. At H's, he had a healthy little pack of mares, that he didn't like to be separated from unless we were riding. They'd often be tied at the rail and I'd be taking him away. That said, at RR, he's got 2 mares and had no issue for trimming.

3. He's worked more at home and RR. At H's over the winters, I'd ride a lot less, and in the last couple of spring/summers he's been there, I wasn't riding as much either. I don't recall him being such an issue way back when when I was showing tbh. At RR, I'm riding a good 3 days a week and he's being worked until he's sweating. L even commented on what a lovely topline he's grown, so I know I must be working him well!

4. Less movement during trims. At H's, people are adding and removing horses from the tie line as we trim. Standing with his mare, then having her put back in the field, while he's being trimmed, I could see as getting Moon worked up. I never tested this theory since my horse not behaving is my problem, not the owner of another horse's problem. But at RR, the other horses in the barn were either not from his paddock, or they were but tied next to him and stayed there the entire trim. The one that did leave for the ring, he started calling for and got a bit worked up, but the trim was over at that time.

So I personally think it's #4 tied to #3. He's worked more so he's got a little less spunk and a little more aware who's boss, that he's less worked up when his friends leave his side. That simple.

Anyway, super thrilled to hear about his topline and with how well he was behaving. There was another girl tied behind Moon, with her beautiful mare Arty. Stunning black, long legged beauty that reminded me so much of E from Coach W's. Who used to love Moon. No surprise, J, the owner of Arty, informed me that Moon and Arty were a couple, following Moon breaking up with Hazel. Well, well. That's my pony.

I think J and her horse are fabulous. I seriously would love to ride every Thursday evening with her. She's just friendly and inviting and easy going.

She was all done riding when Moon and I got in the ring, but we were with a big brown horse and a big grey horse. I mean big. Holy do I have a little pony lol. I always have a moment of "Wow, those are some pro horses", but I could see that Moon was something special. All horses have their strengths and weaknesses, and for all the others were big and tall and probably far more expensive, Moon was passionate and mine, and wonderful. Probably helped that J was complimenting him like crazy ;)

We did a bunch of flatwork, and even did some cantering with all those other people in the ring! :o In both directions! And managed not once to almost crash into anyone! Moon was a little excited to start, but I kept him moving and he had some pretty moments. And a couple of buck and squeals when we went into our first 2 canters, but I love that. Makes me feel like I can ride.

We cooled out, and enjoyed listening to SL teach J about jumping. Bascules and take-off points and wonderful things like that. Always fun when you get a bonus lesson at the end of your ride.

Everyone was really awesome and it was a great ride. I was proud that we did so well with so many people around. I even shaved a bit of Moon's hair off in a "bib" cut, to help him cool off easier.

We were back at the barn Saturday night. I was tired, and the weather was very warm, but we were all alone and there were jumps out. So we worked a bit on our combinations and gymnastic jumping. I have to work on getting my distances right, but Moon did a cavelletti to a vertical to a narrow x-rail beautifully. I love that pony.

And I sold my old Blackburn saddle :D It's off to a new home with a girl up north, and I have been loving my new wintec. Can't complain at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment