Wednesday, December 6, 2017

The one where we jump a straw bale.

So last night, despite the crappy weather, I headed off to the barn. I was really in a riding mood which was good because it was cold and super windy out. Yuck. And I wanted to put Moon's hood on so he'd be cozy in this cold weather.

SL was at the barn doing training rides, so I wasn't riding solo like usual. I focused on dressage because no surprise, I really am not confident enough in my jumping to do it with an audience. Okay, that's not true. I've jumped in front of a whole arena full of people at larger shows, I've jumped with strangers on a cross country course last summer, I've gone to smaller shows and jumped then too.

I guess it's more about the audience being the resident coach, that doesn't coach me. And doesn't really know how I ride, or how my horse rides, or the ins and outs of us.

When riding I find that everything else tends to fall away. Except yesterday every so often I'd come back to myself and realize Moon was going around with his classic evil rabbit face. Or would be tilting his head. Or would be stiff. Or I'd be stiff. Or my downward would be bouncy. And all kinds of things I'd critique myself for. And more so because I felt like while they're just a part of us, and something we work on, others could easily see them as heavy hands or Moon being uncomfortable or insensitive or who knows what else.

I am really proud of him. And we did a lovely job on our walk-trot transitions and, lots of bending. I even did the whole thing without stirrups, which really should make me feel proud and think that SL wouldn't judge too harshly of a bouncy downward from Canter to Trot when stirrupless. But I'm hard on myself like that.

My legs were BURNING by the time SL was done her ride and heading into the barn. I stayed back because I *really* wanted to try jumping over the strawbales she had set up in the ring. They were just one bale wide, with a single stride between. Ooo!

The first time Moon was totally confused about what I was asking and it was awkward. The second time, he flew through beautifully, even with me stirrupless. So proud and so much fun. I even announced that to SL when I went back in.

I also asked if I could put my jumping saddle on my tack box, because I currently have one of the highest saddle stands (it's well over my head), and I can't even reach up high enough to add a second saddle to the stack. My shoulder has been bugging me again (old quad injury), and I was having a lot of pain and discomfort trying to get it up there. And I ride in both saddles very regularly. She wasn't really happy about it, but I told her if anyone complains I'll keep it in my car then. Because I can't lift it that high.

Anyway, it was a really wonderful ride. I grumbled a bit going out, but I just knew I needed to. And I wound up in the saddle for over an hour, I was happy and smiling and feeling good. Sometimes, it's just the dragging yourself out that's the hard part.

1 comment:

  1. Jumping a bale is so fun, though I confess that I haven't jumped more than downed trees in many a year.
    If your assigned saddle spot is too high for you, I would think it shouldn't be so troubling to the BO to switch your spots with someone who is taller (I feel like she should have offered to do so, but maybe that's just me) rather than acting pissy about it.
    Nice to read a local blog.

    ReplyDelete