Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Settle Down

So yesterday after dinner and putting B to bed, I headed back to the barn. Monday evenings are apparently lesson night around there, and three or four young girls and their parents were prepping their horses when I arrived. Off I went to gather Moon while they filled into the arena for their lesson. 

The weather here has gotten CHILLY and it was about -21C or -6F out there, plus a windchill. Brrr!

When I got to Moon's paddock, one of the twins greeted me at the gate. Not my own horse of course. There were a few newbies added, and while it was dark and hard to see, they all seemed a fair bit taller than my ol'Moonpie. 3 more came to greet me at the top of the embankment, but not my boy. He was nose deep in the hay feeder, with his new girlfriend Hazel right beside him. 

I would find out later from the barn owner's husband that they bonded really quick. Like by the second day, she was his. Apparently Hazel had gone to the barn with her owners yesterday and Moon threw quite the fit. I can only imagine. The fellow asked me if it was hard to get Moon out of the paddock away from her...and well...no. Halter on no issue and up the embankment and out the gate. Typical Moon. He's such a weird horse. He's totally nuts about mares, yet still his usual respectful self with me. I guess maybe that's just lots of training and work on our part. But man, he's a dick in the pasture with he's got a lady friend.  

I did notice a HUGE rip in his blanket. His beautiful Schneiders blanket. We're talking to the LINER! There was insulation hanging down, the liner a flap, and the 1680 denier cover torn open. And a good 12" square! Boo. And he even had a bite mark on his butt and was missing a chunk of hair! Thankfully I had brought his liner and rainsheet, so it was easy to swap and bring his winter blanket home for a fix. Which will be tonight. 

HUGE rip :(

Anyway, the girls' started their lesson a bit late and I really didn't feel like being a 5th body in the arena. I'm terrible for remembering which way to pass and always feel like I'm riding in everyone else's way. It's just way too stressful to me, when I can just super groom my pony and have the arena all to myself. And super groom Moon I did. It's so nice in a warm barn, that I even had my hat and mittens off as I worked. 

Barn Cat, that thinks it's my coach...

Barn Owner Husband (BOH) showed up and we talked a bit about Moon's new love interest. He said it was really nice to see them bond so tightly so quickly. I suspect Moon living alone for a good 8 months probably had a bit of an impact on that...maybe he's kinda like me, and when he actually has a friend he's like "GAWD don't leave me alone! I don't know how to cope in this large social situation without you here!" lol. I seriously hate being around other people when I'm running solo and have to be "social". 

Anyway, I noticed that there was a small goat in the hay storage area. Turns out that was a $30 auction goat, and their new mascot. Okay. Cut little thing that certainly could be addictive. THIS is why my husband won't let me get a goat ;) (Okay, he will but he doesn't believe I'll actually eat it come winter and we'll wind up boarding a goat for 4 months of the year!). It's still a juvenile and had the cutest bleeps. 

Mascot Goat!

Tacked and ready shortly before the girls finished, and then we swapped spots. The girl who was using the same cross-ties as me told me how pretty she thought my horse was. Insert melt! I know. But I still love when people tell me he's pretty. She had a HUGE chestnut, and I commented on how small my Moon seems next to it. She laughed and agreed that they have some pretty big boys. 

As I headed into the arena, this one fellow "pulls" his wife away from where she was standing blocking the aisle and stepped aside when I said "excuse me" to pass. He seriously had this look like "Omg wife! That horse is close to you and could kill you!". Except of course Moon was just walking and kinda more wide eyed by the fellows quick actions to move his wife. Okay. Sometimes I have to remind myself that while barn kids are awesome and pony-loving, their parents are...a lot like my parents. There because they love you, but they are NOT horse people. 

Which probably explains the next father saying to the group "Boy, that sure is a sturdy horse, ain't it", in reference to Moon as he passed. I'd like to say it came off as a compliment like "Look how secure and well-built that horse is", but it kinda felt more like when someone calls your kid "Big Boned". Like "Gees, how is that thing athletic?" or something. Granted, next to these warmbloods, Moon is...sturdy lol. He really is. But that's why I love him. And he's even actually quite delicate compared to a lot of quarter horses. His cousin that my girlfriend owns is a truly sturdy horse. Strong hind end, wide chest, broad shoulders, stout neck. Like he's a tank. Moon looks dainty compared to him! 

The barn owner who was standing there made me laugh when she replied "He's a quarter horse", and that's all I caught of the conversation as they closed the arena door behind me. I caught some muffled talk that eluded to him being that solid, simple, stout kinda beast that he is. He's a quarter horse. Yup. He's everything you want in one too!

Mr. Sturdy

Anyway, off to warm up, though the barn was noisy with the chatter of young girls and their parents and coach, but I didn't mind too much. Moon needs to work in a variety of environments. Around and around we went, but I gotta say, it was tough to release the encounter with the parents. You know, I love horse kids, but holy do I ever have a lot of bad experiences with barn parents and it puts me on edge. Questions always come off as judgements, they seem to eye you up and down, and it's always about who's spending more or on what. Who's riding what and how and all that. Not for me thanks. I had to try to push aside a lot of bad encounters of my youth, and remind myself that "Sturdy" isn't a bad thing. The fellow saw a horse that was sturdy and dependable and these are wonderful traits. I somedays yearn for the 17hh warmblood that I need the 6-step mounting block to get on, but I know that Moon still has my heart. I'd still choose him every time. 

And hey, the mounting block is level with his back. Talk about easy for me ;) 

Around and around we went, walk and trot and change of rein and transitions. Over and over. Time seemed to fly as I was stuck in my head, and tried very hard to think relaxing thoughts. Towards the end I was actually really happy with his bend to the right and he was starting to drop his head and reach into the bit again. Yay!!! Unfortunately to the left he's as stiff as a board and I wasn't in the mood to try to work through it with an audience nearby. Moon when stiff does his evil rabbit face, all teeth and head up in the air, and it's ugly. And while I try to channel my inner Coach W, I sometimes just can't ride the ugly. So I just left it alone for another day. 

We did do some beautiful canter work in both directions, and man, can my boy adjust his strides now! Collected and extended, and it was so nice! I loved it. And both 20m circles and around the whole arena, in both directions. So happy. His trot had some nice variability too, which makes me happy. An adjustable horse! Can't wait until we can do some jumping!

We finished by walking out, and then I dismounted and Moon followed me around while I scooped poop. The girls had forgotten to do theirs, so I thought I should be a good barn mate and do it all. Moon was awesome following, and we ran about a bit just for fun. 

Inside I groomed him and got his blanket back on. We still don't have a spot for our tack. I'd really like one because I like to be a bit more organized. 

I put him back out in the field and thankfully this time he walked down the bank properly ;) 

I also spoiled myself...and ordered a special christmas present from Santa ;) I'm picking it up on Black Friday. 

It's a Wintec CC Saddle!! :D I just have to sell my Blackburn to cover the cost, and I'll officially have a real jumping saddle! It was posted as an AP, but all my googling says it's actually a CC. And I thought it was a CC at first look because of how the flaps and panel are shaped. It's way too forward flap to be an AP. Either way it's still an upgrade from my Blackburn! 

Doesn't that flap look awfully forward for an AP??

It's camel coloured and in nearly new condition. With CAIR and changeable gullets, so everything I love! It shipped out yesterday! And from Washington state....the same place I bought my last Wintec dressage saddle! :D I'm so excited to get to jump all winter in it and be ready for some real jumping come spring! And the position should be SO much better than in my blackburn. Actually have my legs in a good jumping position by having a proper jumping saddle! I just need to get some brown leathers and a brown bridle to match...hehe. 

Gonna list my Blackburn as soon as I get the new saddle here. 

Billet Shot ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment