Monday, November 13, 2017

Just JUMP

Oh I'm loving having an indoor.

Wheee!

Sunday I headed off to the barn and it was FABULOUS. The weather had warmed (not enough to melt the snow, but it certainly was an improvement), and my DH bought me a swanky new flashlight. I mean it's SUPER bright, you can adjust the beam, dim it, has a belt clip, everything a barn girl needs.

Had no problems finding Moon from half-way across the paddock with the thing, and into the barn we went. It was later than I'd been going lately, but once again the place was all mine. Mmmmm....

Moon's blanket was perfectly intact, so I'm thinking everyone is settled in finally.

Chip-in!
I decided it was time for some jumping. Moon has become so relaxed and easy going in the arena and barn already, that it felt appropriate. He would still call a time or two our last couple of rides, but his head was in the game. Now thinking back, he didn't actually call out once during our Sunday ride! :D

Right under the Canada flag!

I pulled out two sets of standards and 4 poles. Insert lazy person claiming to be "training" and I grabbed a set of narrow poles (5') and a set a little wider (7'). One low vertical on the straight away, and one higher one across the diagonal. Next time I'll do some proper gymnastic jumping and think about strides and pace and all of that jazz, but this time it was late, and I just wanted to do it. I've always been one to over think my riding, and bounce between being too anxious to just do it, and feeling like I'm "not allowed" even though it's my own horse and I'm an adult. Figure that one out. He's probably not going to end up ruined because I threw us over some verticals, and no one can give me shit. So to hell with it. I was jumping.

Airborn!

We warmed up and then started.

Let me say, that it felt so good. Moon was ears perked, happy and energetic. I really think it's something he enjoys doing and finds a fun challenge. Dressage might be therapy but jumping is a treat.

Up up and away!

The highest vertical we did was about our "usual" max, and one that I've always felt pretty anxious heading towards. By the end of our ride?? I was just jumping it and enjoying. Yes, I was often ahead of the jump. Yes, often my toes tipped down, but I was noticing when it happened. My release was good and soft, my hands were steady and following.

Little vertical

When he weaved a little coming up to the jump I could keep him neatly between my legs and direct him straight. I never bashed him in the mouth, and I stayed on well. Heck, he even chipped in once and I stayed right with him for a massive jump.

It felt so good. To just tackle it and not stress about the whole thing. Makes me think about how kids must feel when they're 14 and have a horse and are just charging around the arena, doing crazy things to their hearts content. Maybe that's why I love this so much; it's like all the adulting just fades away for a bit.

Love his bascule in this one!

Actually, I'm sure that's it. More and more I realize that this time is my selfish me time, and I love it. I feel refreshed when I'm done for the night, I sleep like a log, I dream about ponies, and I can't wait to tackle another goal. Sometimes I think "Gawd, we're spending a LOT of money so I can ride around an arena all winter", and then I realize it's money well spent.

Better body position on this one.

Anyway, around and around and over things we went. It was awesome.

And then Moon was sweaty so I untacked him. I made the two jumps into a jump shoot and ran him through twice just to see :) And like a pro he did it all. The entire ride he didn't refuse a single jump for me. Gawd I love that boy!

Free Jump

Then I cleaned up everything, put the jumps away, walked Moon till he was almost dry, put a cooler on him and brushed him out. Back out to his paddock in his blanket he went!

And me, I drove home, just thrilled.

Moon snuggles the barn cat <3

:D Once a week we're gonna jump. Just for the thrill of it.

My beautiful boy <3 Look at that soft eye <3

No comments:

Post a Comment